The museum is located in the Antico Ospedale degli Infermi. Designed in Neoclassical style from 1771 by the Ferrara architect Antonio Foschini (1741-1813), while the rear façade is by Gaetano Genta (1750-1837), it was completed in 1784.
A valuable testimony of papal reformism in the second half of the 18th century, it was realised at enormous sacrifices of the Comacchio community.
The museum houses the huge cargo of a commercial vessel from the Augustan period, found in 1981 in the locality of Valle Ponti, a few kilometres from Comacchio.
The entire cargo, which has been well preserved for over 2,000 years, consists of goods for sale and everyday items that belonged to the sailors.
On the first floor, the museum exhibits valuable artefacts from the Etruscan town of Spina and ancient Comacchio, whose origins date back to the early Middle Ages between the 7th and 8th centuries.
Opening hours and days on the website: